Ivanovo Russia Art
Sergei Goloshapov, a Moscow-born artist, rose to the top of his field in the late 1960s and early 1970s. He earned a master's degree in art and was admitted to the Russian Academy of Arts in Moscow and the Institute of Contemporary Art in St. Petersburg, but also developed an interest in modern contemporary art. His first work, the painting he created for the Moscow State Museum of Modern Art, was later bought and donated by the museum. It is one of the most important works of modern art in the history of Russia and the first of its kind.
The works on display include works that the artist himself chose in the early 1920s, when he was trying to establish himself as an artist, and other works that were exhibited in a half-forgotten warehouse during the Soviet era. Many of the paintings were made in Plyos, a beautiful Russian city on the Volga River, known for its picturesque landscape. The Ivanovo Industrial Zone, which existed until 1936, merged with the Soviet Union and the Russian Federation, as well as with other parts of Russia. During this time, the country became the home of many artists, such as Sergei Goloshapov, Sergei Kuznetsov, Mikhail Khodorkovsky, Vladimir Krasnoyarsky, Alexander Kudrin, Igor Kravchenko, Evgeny Kursky, Sergey Kostenko, Dmitry Korniyev, and others.
At the beginning of the 20th century Ivanovo competed with Woznesensk, a city on the Volga River in the eastern part of the Russian Empire. In 1929, the town became the centre of an "industrial region Ivanovo," which included a number of industries such as textile production, steel production and textile factories. After unification, Ivanovos and Vossensenk became centers of textile production for the Soviet Union and a center for textile production in Russia. In this context, I began to describe it as the most important industrial zone in all of Russia, not only for textile production, but also for art.
This coincided with a major construction project in the city center involving some of the brightest minds of Soviet architecture of the time, including Ilya Golosov and Viktor Vesnin. It had a strong utopian dimension: avant-garde artists dreamed of creating a new world through new art. The goal was to create a "new city" with its own culture and history, and that had to be achieved.
On Black Square, which was shown in Petrograd as part of the seminal group exhibition "Black Square," Malevich positioned the painting in a place normally reserved for icons of Russian Orthodox houses. Russian art and the upheaval of centuries of figurative art in favor of a more modern, modernist approach to art and culture.
The current exhibition presents only works from the museum's collection, including works created in Plyos, such as the aforementioned "Volga" of 1889 (you can also buy thematic souvenirs here). The second room is dedicated to the paintings of Levichan and his contemporaries with funds from the Ivanovo Regional Museum of Art. Mass-produced and rare models are exhibited, as well as some of the most important works of modern art in Russia and the world.
The Transfiguration Ivanovo Cathedral, also known as the White Church, was built in 1889, when the "Russian" style was in its early stages and was reminiscent of the tradition from the 17th century. Other sights worth seeing are the Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul, the Church of Christ the Savior and the Church of St. Vladimir. Ivanovos churches were built in the 19th and 20th centuries, with the exception of some churches in the Old Town.
There are a number of architectural monuments from all years, and there are educational facilities offered to Russian and foreign students. The city is home to the Russian Academy of Sciences and Moscow State University of Arts. There is also a Russian company that occupies a large part of the Old Town as well as the city center and some of its suburbs.
Every year the museum buys or gives a series of works of art from the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Moscow State University of the Arts. The documents of his Purchase Commission allow the annual purchases of this museum, which in 1982 became the largest museum in the world with a collection of more than 100,000 pieces.
For the opening of the museum, the renowned Moscow collector Felix Vishnevsky donated Volga, a version of Levichanan's composition. Many artists from Moscow and Ivanovo responded by donating their works to Plyos, and once the famous artists Stanislav Kuznetsov, Mikhail Khodorkovsky and Mikhail Ponomarev, who were on holiday in the Theater Union's retirement home, paid a unique visit to the museum. Russian art and made the city famous throughout the country and abroad, as well as in Russia itself.
Today, the Levitan Museum has a collection of more than 1,000 works of art, most of which were painted and processed between the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The uniqueness of this exhibition lies in its second exhibit, which features the works of Mikhail Khodorkovsky and Mikhail Ponomarev, two of Ivanovo's most famous artists.